Wednesday, April 20, 2011

New Adventure


So I called this an adventure, but it's not a very fun one - yet.  

My friend Amber has been struggling with high blood pressure.  It's a bit scary when you start thinking about the risks of high BP - especially in someone still so young!  So her doctor put her on some BP meds and then told her she must lose another 50 pounds!!!  (She's already lost quite a bit of weight, but he feels she can lose more.)  After we picked our jaws off the ground at the big number we asked how he expected her to achieve such a feat!  His answer was the SBD.

As I've struggled with trying to eat and live more of a healthy life I felt I could show my support to her by joining her in the diet.  Her mother also jumped on board.  So the 3 of us have been following Phase 1 since Monday.

Now for anyone that has never done the SBD, it's very difficult the first 2 weeks.  You must cut out all sugar, carbs and starches.  So that means no sweets, fruit, cereal, potatoes, rice, noodles, etc.  We are restricted to meat, veggies and eggs.  But this phase is designed to detox the body and get rid of cravings for the bad junk that we were eating before.  After 2 weeks passes we jump into Phase 2 which reintroduces some whole wheat grains and fruit.  It will still be tough, but a bit more liberal.

So I'm hoping to see an improvement in my own health.  I weighed myself last night (after 2 days of this) and I think my scale is broken!  It said I weighed WAY less than I thought I did.  I need to get a second opinion from someone else's scale and go from there.  The bonus to the strict first 2 weeks is that you can drop 8-12 pounds!  Wohoo!  I'm hoping!!!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm so proud of you!! Stick to it, it's always better when you have someone help keep you accountable. I wish I wasn't such a picky eater and could do the SBD. You're such a good friend!! Good luck Shan and Amber!